What is the Voluntary Social Security Scheme?
The Social Security Mexican is the equivalent of our Social Security. There they have two different regimes, which are the Mandatory Regime, and the Voluntary Regime . Permanent or temporary salaried workers, members of cooperative societies and persons determined by the Federal Executive are registered in the Mandatory Regime.
On the other hand, the Voluntary Regime is for the rest of non-salaried professional workers, but in general it is an option for those who do not have a formal job that guarantees them medical service. It works, in general, as private insurance.
Let’s see what this Voluntary Social Security Scheme consists of , which, among other things, is divided into ten modalities that encompass the different types of people and professionals to whom it will provide coverage.
- MODE 32 (Optional Insurance), and MODE 33 (Family Health Insurance), which provide protection only in case of illness and maternity, and do not give entitlement to receive benefits.
- MODE 34 (Domestic workers): it offers protection to domestic workers in cases that are framed by occupational hazards, in case of illness and maternity, disability and death, retirement or unemployment at old and old age, and does not entitle to benefit .
- MODE 35 (Employers of natural persons with workers at their service): for persons with dependents, and offers coverage in the contingencies of work, sickness and maternity, disability and death and old age risks. Yes, it entitles you to benefit, but only in the section on occupational risks.
- MODALITIES 36 and 38 (Workers at the service of state governments): 36 provides coverage for sickness and maternity insurance; 38, in the insurance of risks of work and illness and maternity, but none gives right to benefit.
- MODE 40 (Voluntary Continuation in the Mandatory Regime): disability and life insurance, and retirement, severance pay in old age and old age. No benefit
- MODALITY 42 (Workers at the service of state governments): protects workers at the service of federal, state or municipal public administrations in all insurances, except in nurseries and social benefits. It does entitle to benefit.
- MODALITY 43 (Voluntary incorporation of the field into the Mandatory Regime): covers sickness and maternity, disability and life, and old age insurance. No benefit
- MODE 44 (Freelancers): covers sickness and maternity, disability and life, and old age insurance. No benefit
As we can see, for any worker who cannot continue to be protected by the IMSS Mandatory Regime, there is the possibility of continuing to contribute voluntarily, to continue accumulating contribution time and to be able to access a pension in Mexico. Depending on the modality chosen, this will be the coverage, and the monthly fees to be paid will also vary.